Mara Keen, an attorney handling title insurance for the new phase of homes, reached out to me not long after that visit. She requested an original copy of the 1957 grant and confirmed that if the corridor was still legally active, not a single home in phase 3 could be sold with a clean title.
Meanwhile, far upstream, rain had begun falling in steady, relentless sheets across the hills feeding the reservoir. Everett Shaw, the engineer responsible for managing the Asheford reservoir, reported that water levels were climbing faster than any seasonal forecast had predicted. He had spent nearly 30 years monitoring that same reservoir, and he told Leah privately that he had only seen numbers rise this quickly twice before in his entire career. Both release gates remained closed for the moment, but county protocol required them to open automatically the instant the reservoir crossed its mandated safety threshold, a rule written into the system precisely so no single person could delay it out of convenience or politics.
I sent Dana one final warning by email, telling her plainly to halt all construction and clear every piece of equipment out of the flood corridor before it was too late. She wrote back a single line telling me I did not run this county and that construction would continue on schedule. I forwarded her reply straight to Leah's office without another word of my own attached. 10 minutes later, Leah sent back an official notice, and this one carried the full weight of the county behind it. Emergency stop work order, it read, effective immediately.
County inspectors arrived at the site within the hour, taping stop work notices across idle excavators and the glass doors of the sales office. I watched from my own porch as the crews packed up their tools in a hurry, some of them glancing over toward my property, as if they already suspected where the complaint had originated.
Dana called an emergency HOA meeting that same afternoon, telling the assembled board members the order was nothing more than a temporary formality caused by my complaints, one that would surely be lifted within days. She stood in front of a slideshow of finished home renderings and promised the room that construction would resume before the week was out and that any talk of flooding was nothing more than an old feud between neighbors. Rather than remove the fill dirt blocking the drainage path, she instructed Caleb to construct an additional low earthen berm meant to protect the new entrance gate from rising rainwater.
Caleb warned her outright that the berm would turn the entire expansion into something close to a sealed basin, trapping any water that managed to get in. Dana handed him an email from the developer's attorney, one that promised the HOA would accept full legal responsibility and demanded the berm be finished before sunrise the next morning. Caleb built it as instructed, though he quietly saved that email along with a recording of their conversation, unwilling to be the only name attached to what was coming.
Leah inspected the small concrete culvert buried beneath the new road and determined it could handle less than 15% of the flow the original corridor had been engineered to carry. The county's emergency management office ordered every worker off the site and locked down the construction zone entirely, though thankfully no families had yet moved into any completed homes in the new phase.
I spent that same afternoon moving equipment, livestock, and my most important paperwork up to higher ground, and I opened the southern gate in my fence line to give any rising water more room to spread away from my barn. Dana spotted me preparing and mocked me for staging what she called a performance meant to spread panic through the neighborhood. I did not answer her directly and instead asked whether she had ever bothered to read the operating procedures governing that reservoir. She had no idea that the release gates required no permission whatsoever from the HOA, the developer, or any landowner downstream since the county alone controlled when and how they opened.
Rain fell harder that night than it had in years, drumming against the tin roof of my equipment shed until the sound blurred into one continuous roar. I sat up in my kitchen with a cup of coffee going cold beside me, watching the reservoir gauge readings refresh on my laptop every few minutes as the numbers climbed steadily higher. Somewhere around midnight, I called Leah just to ask if the counties still expected the gates to hold through the night, and she told me plainly that no one could promise anything once the rain kept falling at that pace.
I did not sleep at all after that call, choosing instead to walk the fence line twice with a flashlight, checking that the gate I had opened earlier still swung freely in case the water came sooner than anyone expected. My phone finally lit up with an emergency alert I had been half expecting for days. The message from Asheford County ran only three lines. Reservoir levels had reached the mandatory action threshold. Warning sirens would sound at 6:00 in the morning and release gate number two would open at 6:30.
I was already positioned on higher ground well before dawn, watching emergency workers and county deputies close off every road leading into phase 3. Dana arrived not long after demanding access to the sales office so she could retrieve important files, but the deputies turned her away since the entire area now sat inside the designated danger zone. She spent the next half hour on the phone with county leadership, her own attorney, and the developer, none of whom had any power to halt an automated safety procedure already in motion. Everett explained to her over the phone that failing to open the gate risked overtopping the secondary dam entirely, threatening the state highway and several other neighborhoods further downstream. Dana insisted the county was deliberately flooding Brier Glenn just to protect me, and Leah calmly replied that the county was simply sending water into a legal corridor that had existed long before the homeowners association ever did.
The warning sirens sounded right on schedule at 6:00 that morning, and for a long tense stretch, nothing visible happened at the construction site at all. Dana began to smile again, convinced that both Leah and I had exaggerated the danger for our own reasons. I understood something she did not: that water traveling from that far upstream needed time to work its way down through the natural channel before it ever reached us.